Follow tweets from Sutton's principal Audrey Sofianas @Suttonprincipal
Sutton Tour Added
If you would like a tour of Sutton, parents only. The next one is scheduled for Wednesday, October 31st @ 9am. Tours are filling up quickly, please call Jennifer Miller at 404-802-5600
to reserve your spot soon! For more tour dates visit the Sutton Website
Prospective Parent Party for Rising 6th Graders - Oct. 18
Principal Audrey Sofianos, administrators, teachers, and parents will be on hand to answer all of your questions about life AFTER elementary school. Come hear all the exciting news from your neighborhood middle school! Click the link below to view the invitation and RSVP
Sutton Tour Dates
Please contact Jennifer Miller at Sutton's front desk at 404-802-5600 to reserve a spot for a tour.
“Prepare the child for the road, not the road for the child”
You never thought the moment would arrive, but it is right around the corner...your child is finally graduating from elementary school! Now it's time to move on up to the big leagues. That's right...your child is about to take on middle school.
They will encounter new people, new school subjects, new activities, and many more teachers than they are used to. If you have the right attitude and solid information on what to expect, you'll be a middle school pro in no time.
Sutton Middle School is our neighborhood school located near Chastain Park. Now your child will be able renew their friendships from pre-school days! All these middle schoolers reunite with kids they knew before they all separated and went to kindergarten. It's a testament to the neighborhood support that so many families support our cluster...surprisingly, creating an even larger comfort zone than one might find at the elementary level!
Did you Know this about your Neighborhood Middle School??
• Sutton completed a $22 million renovation and now boasts state-of-the art facilities: 9 science labs, 5 computer labs, media center, full-size gym and locker rooms, art room, orchestra, band, and chorus rooms with 7 sound-proof practice rooms and recording capabilities, a free standing performing arts theatre, and a large football/soccer field.
• Originally built as a high school, Sutton has the advantage of high school level amenities (i.e. extra labs and full sized athletic facilities).
• Sutton has 77 teachers, 30 classified and support staff.
• All teachers have completed at least one level of IB certification.
• Deployed more 21st century classroom (Interactive Whiteboards, Tablets for use with whiteboards, scanners, wireless pen mouse, wireless microphones, speakers and much more.)
• Wellness is incorporated in every aspect of their school. The wellness committee, staff, and students are working hard to earn a Silver Medal National Recognition Award from the Alliance or a Healthier Generation. In 2009-2010, they were awarded the Bronze and are continually striving to make health and wellness a number one priority.
• Won the national awards for Odyssey of the Mind
• Some Sutton students have been named Duke TIP Scholars
• In the national program, MathCounts, Sutton students placed first in the city and advanced to the state competition.
• Won the A+ Award from PriceWaterhouse Coopers, LLP, one of Sutton’s Partners in Education. Forty-five students participated in the Life Skills Class and 10 were selected for the coveted Price Waterhouse internship.
• The Buckhead Business Association, also a Partner in Education, chose Sutton Middle School to participate in its Junior Leadership Development Program.
• Emory University, another Partner in Education, along with PriceWaterhouse Coopers provide students an opportunity to attend a leadership summer camp at the Michael C. Carlos Museum.
• Coca-Cola selected 10 Sutton students to attend Camp Coca-Cola Summer Leadership Training.
• 19 Academic clubs are available for your child
• 14 Academic Competitions conducted during the year
• Sutton’s orchestra/music program has a 25-year history of earning the highest ranking in the city at competition. Their orchestra program sweeps every competition they enter.
• It has been the only APS middle school to have students selected for the Georgia All-State middle school orchestra. The program is unique in that it offers students the opportunity to take part in the Mariachi band, cello choir, fiddle group, and clinics and private lessons with the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra members.
• Received “Outstanding Strings” and “Exceptional Achievement” awards at the 2010 National Adjudicators Invitational.
• The drama department has been taken to a new level with the annual Sutton Night Live Comedy Show.
• Their talent show, Sutton Showcase, has been going on for decades at the Chastain Amphitheatre and Buckhead Theatre with huge crowds of families and friends in attendance. Who doesn't enjoy seeing these kids perform on the same stage as just about every musical legend in this country?
• Sutton 7th & 8th graders can participate in 14 different sports.
• Some of those sports include: Football, Softball, Soccer, Cheerleading, Step Team, Ultimate Frisbee, Cross Country, Volley ball, Basketball & Golf
• APS guidelines state that 6th graders can not participate in competitive sports, but they can take part in intramural sports. Intramurals included such sports as tennis, ultimate frisbee, and lacrosse for boys and girls, volleyball for girls and wrestling for boys.
To learn more about our neighborhood Sutton Middle School, please attend one of the Sutton Tours available during the year.
If you have and additional questions please contact your Sutton Liaison Team listed below.
Sara Catherine Kibler firstname.lastname@example.org
Katie Mori email@example.com
Go to the Sutton Website by clicking here.