Helen Ruffin Reading Bowl at Morris Brandon – Open to 4th and 5th Graders
Congrats to the 2016-17 Reading Bowl Team for all of their hard work and a valiant effort! Check back at the end of the school year to discover next year’s list and information on the 2017-18 tryouts.
About Reading Bowl
The Helen Ruffin Reading Bowl (“HRRB”) is a unique reading competition offered to 4th and 5th graders at Brandon. The “bowl” is a competition between schools and uses questions from the Georgia Book Award nominees in a quiz bowl-like format.
In 2016-17 school year, Brandon will be competing for its 8th year. The team has placed 6 times in the District round moving onto Regionals at Clayton State University. Our 2013-2014 team made it even further and competed in Divisionals. Needless to say, our Brandon Bees are amazing students, readers and competitors!
About the Team
- Team of 10 students
- Tryouts take place over the course of many weeks
- ‘Top 10’ Selected Team Readers Based on the Following Criteria:
- Reading as many of the books on the HRRB list
- Receive and read ‘assigned’ books (2)
- Turn in 10 Questions per book!
- AR Quiz scores
- Attendance at the pre-selection meetings
- Questions answered about books
Teacher Advisors: Mrs. Lander, Ms. Richards, Mrs. Davis, and Ms. Brown
To learn more, visit Mrs. Lander’s smore flyer here.