Bees Heading to South Africa!
Greetings Parents and Community Members! I hope everyone enjoyed their first week back at work since Thanksgiving! You won’t believe the amount of cool things that took place at our amazing school since we last spoke. I never run out of things to talk about – the challenge is fitting it all in to one BeeMail! In just one week:
- Our hometown soccer team, Atlanta United, won the Eastern Conference Championship and is headed to the finals! To celebrate, the entire school participated in Atlanta United Day!
- In a rigorous selection process, Ms. Lander, our awesome MC Media Specialist, selected 4th and 5th graders to represent Brandon in this year’s Helen Ruffin Reading Bowl – Congrats to all those selected!
- Mr. Hutson, the amazing Program Admin at PC, brought SOAR to our Primary Campus. Children were engaged in a day of learning from some of the unsung heroes who keep us safe every day! We saw police on horses, dogs, firefighters and so much more!
- Our admin team and several teachers joined in for a community meet-and-greet in one of our nearby neighborhoods! It was awesome to get out into the community and meet so many of our parents. You should have seen the children’s faces when they got off of the bus and saw us waiting for them!
- Dr. Carstarphen, APS Superintendent, awarded FOUR Brandon students third place in the annual Holiday Card Competition. All four students were recognized in person at Monday’s Board meeting. Congrats!
- With the help of our AMAZING ESOL teacher, Ms. Rachel Bull, we kicked off our first annual Saturday school! Children were up bright and early Saturday morning and ready to come to school and learn for 3 hours, from not just Ms. Bull but Dr. Porter and Dr. Strickland as well. Funded with Title III money, we are going to be able to provide additional support to our English language learners for several Saturdays throughout the year.
As we roll into our second week back from Thanksgiving break, I’m reminded how lucky we are to be at such an amazing school with fantastic students and incredible staff! There is always something happening at Brandon and I am proud to showcase it each and every week. A couple of reminders below:
- Students in 4th and 5th grade who tested on the Georgia Milestones last year will be receiving their growth reports, coming home this Friday. Student Growth Percentiles (SGPs) describe how much academic progress your student made relative to academically similar students across Georgia. Remember, Brandon’s shared SGP last year was a 57.5 collectively. This means that our students in 4th grade (current 5th) and 5th grade (current 6th) students performed better than 57.5% of academically similar students, demonstrating typical to high growth.
- Please join me at my next Principal Coffee Talk on Friday, 12/14, to learn more about Brandon’s SGP, CCRPI and schoolwide data! Remember to continue to follow me on Facebook and Twitter, and be sure you are a part of our Remind Group by texting 81010 to @mbbees to stay in the loop on important real-time info. Also, don’t forget to take our Parent Climate Survey here if you have not done so yet! Currently we have increased our participation to 85 parents, but we can do better!
Until next week,