Bees Are Returning
Greetings Parents and Community Members!
I’m so thrilled to finally reach out to you about the hard work we’ve been doing to prepare for an amazing 2021-22 school year. There are so many new and exciting things coming our way, and I can’t believe that we are so close to Day 1! While you have been enjoying your summers on the beach, at the lake, on vacation, or just hanging out at home with the kids whenever you can, we have been preparing for the safe arrival of more than 800 students across 7 grade levels (yes! We have a Pre-K class!), for 5 days a week of instruction beginning August 5, 2021.
Updates from APS, REMIND texts, emails, robo calls, and introduction letters can feel like information overload – I get it, I am an APS parent too! In order to help streamline the amount of info it takes to kick off a school year, I have outlined the most important information below. If you still have questions, you can always call one of our main offices between 8am and 3:30pm Monday – Friday.
- Class Lists Available Friday in IC Parent Portal – Starting today, we have posted all Pre-K and Kindergarten rosters on the Primary Center doors. All other homeroom assignments will be available in Infinite Campus Parent Portal on Friday, July 30th. Be sure to visit this website if you need help signing up for the Portal.
- Transportation Dry Run 8/4 – The transportation department will conduct bus route “dry runs” the morning and afternoon of August 4. This is a great time to meet your bus driver and say hello! Routes will be available no later than August 2 here and bus stops with home addresses can be found here.
- Technology Update and Survey Completion – We are excited to receive hundreds of devices for our students to help personalize learning this school year. EVERY student in Pre-K and Kindergarten will receive an iPad, and students in 1st through 5th grades will receive an HP Chromebook. Computers will remain at school for at least the first month of school as we work to integrate our new technology into our core classrooms with remediation, extension and online programs. If you are in need of internet access at home to help with homework, you can complete the APS technology questionnaire to receive a free hotspot.
- Back to School Bash This Saturday – The Back to School Bash is one of my favorite ways to kick off the school year. In a typical year, I love seeing all of our Brandon Bees in their school gear at the GWCC, but this year, we will celebrate with a drive through experience. If you have the time, come on down between 9am and 1 pm on Saturday, July 31 to receive all sorts of cool supplies, materials, and fun APS gear!
- HealthCheck Updates – As we start the school year with 5 days a week of instruction and extended school days, it’s important that we continue with our mitigation efforts to keep COVID-19 out of our building. As a community, we did an incredible job in the Spring, and we will continue to do so this Fall. To help us replace the need for AM temperature checks, we are asking that ALL MORRIS BRANDON FAMILIES please complete the AM HealthCheck screener prior to coming to school each and every morning. It only takes a few seconds, and it will help us immensely. You can find more information about our AM HealthCheck screener from APS here or view our informational flyer here.
- Surveillance Testing – Please consider being a part of the APS and Morris Brandon comprehensive testing strategy by participating in weekly surveillance testing. Last year we tested close to 400 students and staff a week, allowing us to get ahead of any outbreaks at school. This year the permission form has been made available online here.
- Additional COVID-19 Mitigation Strategies – Daily student HealthCheck screening and Surveillance Testing are great mitigation efforts, but I want to remind parents that all students and staff are required to wear masks while indoors at school. Furthermore, classrooms will be set up with 3 feet of physical distance between students, and desk shields will be used whenever 3 feet is not possible (such as in small group instruction or support and extension classes when mixing of homerooms will occur). For breakfast and lunch, students will be spaced 6 feet apart in the cafeterias when masks are off. While masks will be optional outdoors, we will start the year using recess zones to ensure all rules are being followed prior to mixing classes. We will continue to follow APS, DPH and CDC guidelines on COVID-19 mitigation strategies, and we hope things will improve as we move through the year.
Don’t forget to join us in exactly one week as we kick off the school year with our annual Celebration of Learning! This is a great time to visit the school with your children before Day 1, meet your teachers, drop off school supplies, and visit the gym to learn more about everything going on at our awesome neighborhood school. We ask that you 1) wear a mask at all times within the building, 2) limit attendees to students and parents only and 3) come during your allotted time (last name A-M, 9-10am and N-Z, 10-11am). Remember, parking can be tight, so please carpool and always respect our neighbors!
Cheers to Day 1 on August 5, 2021!