Beginning July 1, 2016, Atlanta Public Schools became a Charter System. Adopting this new operating model allows schools more freedom and flexibility to find new ways to boost student achievement. The best part — parents, educators and community members can now share in the decision-making process by joining the school’s GO Team.
The GO Team replaces the Local School Council model that had previously been operating (through as recent as the 2015-16 school year).
What is the GO Team?
GO Teams consist of 3 parents (elected by parents), 3 instructional staff (elected by staff members), 2 community members (nominated by principal), 1 swing seat (selected by GO Team), and 1 principal (non-voting member). At the high school level, there is also 1 student who serves. But this does not apply to the Morris Brandon GO Team. To learn more from the initial election, click on this APS-created resource.
2019-2020 Brandon Strategic Plan
What do we do?
- Approve Morris Brandon’s strategic plan
- Approve Morris Brandon’s budget recommendations
- Participate in the hiring and evaluation of the school’s principal
Who are we?
Chairperson: Tracey Hudson (teacher)
Vice-Chairperson: Michelle Halsey (parent)
Secretary: Daniel Ledford (community member)
Cluster Representative: Patterson Calhoun (parent)
Caren Solomon Bharwani (parent)
Sam DeCarlo (swing seat)
Michelle Kemp (teacher)
Anna Fiveash (community member)
Sonya Walston (teacher)
Jay Bland (principal)
2018-2019 Meetings (are open to the public and tentatively scheduled as noted):
- August 10 at 7:00 am, Main Campus (Public Comment)
- September 13 at 4:30 pm, Main Campus (Public Comment)
- October 19 at 7:00 am, Primary Center (Public Comment)
- November 8 at 4:30 pm, Main Campus (Public Comment)
- December 18 at 7:00 am, Main Campus
January 25 at 7:00 am, Primary CenterJanuary 31 at 4:00 pm, Primary Center February 7 at 3:15 pm, Main CampusFebruary 12 at 7:00 am, Main Campus
- March 7 at 4:00 pm, Primary Center (Public Comment)
- March 12 at 3:00 pm, Media Center (Public Comment)
- May 28 at 9:00 am, Primary Center
A summary of meeting actions will be posted within 2 days of the meeting online and at school. The agendas and minutes (until minutes are approved, they will be listed as “summaries“) can be found on their respective links within this paragraph, as they each become available.
The public is welcome at all GO Team meetings and there is a public comment portion on each agenda. Please see our norms for public comment here.
For more information on GO Teams and the Charter Operating Model, click on this APS site.