Winter is Bee-eautiful!
Greetings Parents and Community Members! Of course it’s been another exciting week at Brandon with tons to celebrate and share, culminating in our 2nd quarter Hive celebration! I loved celebrating ALL of our students across both campuses, focusing on positive behavior, good attendance and students meeting their reading goals. By this point I’m sure you know the Orange Hive won, but, rest assured, Class DoJo points will be reset and students will once again have a chance to be recognized for being outstanding global citizens and students of Brandon throughout our 3rd quarter. One important aspect of our Hive rally is the bridge it builds between both campuses. One of my goals is to find ways to make Brandon feel like one school, even though we have two campuses. I loved that the assembly was highlighted by Coach Wyman’s jump rope demo team performing for the PC. Our k-2 students watched in awe at the skills our 3rd-5th graders demonstrated. Coach Wyman will definitely have some future jump ropers on her team!
Other happenings this week included:
- Madame Darlis’ French classes using a hula hoop “brain break” activity she learned from our recent teacher leadership professional development day. Only two rules? No English allowed and students cannot break the circle.
- Our awesome 4th and 5th grade teachers, Ms. Maneri, Ms. Windle, and Ms. Stansbury, kicked off their Girls on the Run training. They’ll be joined by other 4th grade teachers to help support this awesome coaching opportunity that teaches our young girls about building relationships and creating a positive school environment. More details are below!
- Some of our Brandon students participated in APS’ Tech Fair this past week. These students showed up strong and ready to compete!
- Ms. Walston’s 5th grade gifted class created unbelievable writing pieces focusing on real world connections. I’m always impressed by our gifted teachers’ (and students’) extension and creativity activities!
- And, of course, ALL of our teachers are all in with Module 2 of Wit and Wisdom, annotating texts, focusing on word play, engaging in academic conversations and analyzing visual art. I’m consistently impressed at the vertical alignment from Kindergarten all the way to 5th grade!
As we continue to roll into second semester, student learning and a focus around our schoolwide priorities will be taking precedence. Students are seen reading all over the building, engaging in rich and thought-provoking conversations in class, and growing through extension activities, MyLexia work, or small group instruction. Everyone has a place at Brandon as we are continually welcoming new students each day. If you have not had a chance yet, be sure to take a look at our most recent Principal Book Chat starring yours truly and our amazing Program Administrator, Dwight Hutson. This month, our students are reading The Journey, by Francesca Sanna. A poignant children’s tale about a family forced from their home and into an unknown land, the book teaches us about acceptance and caring and rings true more today than ever. The video clip can be seen here. As always, reach out to me or a member of our team with any questions or concerns.
Until next week!