Beginning July 1, 2016, Atlanta Public Schools became a Charter System. Adopting this new operating model allows schools more freedom and flexibility to find new ways to boost student achievement. The best part — parents, educators and community members can now share in the decision-making process by joining the school’s GO Team.
The GO Team replaces the Local School Council model that had previously been operating (through as recent as the 2015-16 school year).
What is the GO Team?
GO Teams consist of 3 parents (elected by parents), 3 instructional staff (elected by staff members), 2 community members (nominated by principal), 1 swing seat (selected by GO Team), and 1 principal (non-voting member). At the high school level, there is also 1 student who serves. But this does not apply to the Morris Brandon GO Team. To learn more from the initial election, click on this APS-created resource.
What do we do?
- Approve Morris Brandon’s strategic plan
- Approve Morris Brandon’s budget recommendations
- Participate in the hiring and evaluation of the school’s principal
Who are we?
Chairperson: Caren Solomon (parent)
Vice-Chairperson: Sarah Kirsch (parent)
Secretary: Tracey Hudson (teacher)
Cluster Representative: Kelly Trotter (community member)
Gordon Benedict (parent)
Susan Friedrichs (teacher)
Grace White (teacher)
Kate Laing (community member)
Nza Branton (swing seat)
Kara Stimpson (principal)
Meetings are open to the public and are tentatively scheduled as follows:
- July 28 at 8 am, Main Campus
- September 9 at 7:15 am, Primary Center
- October 13 at 5:30 pm, Main Campus
- November 11 at 7:30 am at the Primary Center- This meeting is a work session.
- December 2 at 7:15 am, Primary Center
- January 20 at 7:15 am, Primary Center-This meeting is a work session.-Budget Feedback Meeting (FY18) Agenda Here
- February 2 at 5:30 pm, Main Campus-Budget Approval Meeting (FY18) – Public Notice
- March 3 at 7:15 am, Primary Center
- March 30 at 5:30 pm, Main Campus
- May 26 at 8 am, Primary Center
A summary of meeting actions will be posted within 2 days of the meeting online and at school. The agendas will be linked on the appropriate dates listed above in advance of the meeting, while the minutes (until minutes are approved, they will be listed as “summaries“) will replace the agendas following the meeting, as they each become available. They can also each be found on their respective links within this paragraph.
The public is welcome at all GO Team meetings and there is a public comment portion on each agenda. Please see our norms for public comment here.
For more information on GO Teams and the Charter Operating Model, click on this APS site.