Beginning July 1, 2016, Atlanta Public Schools became a Charter System. Adopting this new operating model allows schools more freedom and flexibility to find new ways to boost student achievement. The best part — parents, educators and community members can now share in the decision-making process by joining the school’s GO Team.
The GO Team replaces the Local School Council model that had previously been operating (through as recent as the 2015-16 school year).
What is the GO Team?
GO Teams consist of 3 parents (elected by parents), 3 instructional staff (elected by staff members), 2 community members (nominated by principal), 1 swing seat (selected by GO Team), and 1 principal (non-voting member). At the high school level, there is also 1 student who serves. But this does not apply to the Morris Brandon GO Team. To learn more from the initial election, click on this APS-created resource.
What do we do?
- Approve Morris Brandon’s strategic plan
- Approve Morris Brandon’s budget recommendations
- Participate in the hiring and evaluation of the school’s principal
Who are we?
Chairperson: Caren Solomon (parent)
Vice-Chairperson: Nza Branton (swing seat)
Secretary: Kelly Trotter (community member)
Cluster Representative: Kelly Trotter (community member)
Gordon Benedict (parent)
Susan Friedrichs (teacher)
Tracey Hudson (teacher)
Sarah Kirsch (parent)
Kate Laing (community member)
Sonya Walston (teacher)
Kara Stimpson (principal)
Meetings are open to the public and are tentatively scheduled as follows:
- September 8 at 7:15 am, Primary Center
- October 5 at 5:30 pm, Primary Center
- November 3 at 7:15 am, Main Campus
- November 30 at 5:30 pm, Main Campus
- WORK SESSION: December 8 at 7:15m, Main Campus (CLOSED MEETING)
- CANCELED – January 19 at 7:15 am, Primary Center
- February 1 at 5:30 pm, Primary Center
- WORK SESSION: February 15 at 5:30pm, Main Campus (CLOSED MEETING)
- March 6 at 7:15 am, Main Campus
- CANCELED – April 12 at 5:30 pm, Main Campus
- May 21 at 7:15 am, Main Campus Science Lab (NOTE: NEW DATE AND TIME)
- WORK SESSION: May 23 at 7:00am, Main Campus Science Lab
A summary of meeting actions will be posted within 2 days of the meeting online and at school. The agendas and minutes (until minutes are approved, they will be listed as “summaries“) can be found on their respective links within this paragraph, as they each become available.
The public is welcome at all GO Team meetings and there is a public comment portion on each agenda. Please see our norms for public comment here.
For more information on GO Teams and the Charter Operating Model, click on this APS site.