Greetings Morris Brandon families and community! I am so happy to be here as the Interim Principal and can’t wait to get started on another amazing year. While the last month has been summer break for many of you, the leadership team has been hard at work, hiring for open positions, planning out the school year ahead, attending professional development sessions and helping me immensely as I transition into my new role. I have already met so many wonderful staff, parents and students and can’t wait to meet everyone else as we inch closer to the start of the school year. Before I go further, I want to extend a special farewell to Ms. Tiffany Momon, Program Admin at the Morris Brandon Primary Campus. Ms. Momon has been selected to be the new Principal of Cascade Elementary and we know she is well deserving and will do amazing things there. We wish her all the best on her new journey and she has promised me she will come back and visit!!
What’s Bee-n Happening?
- New additions at the Main Campus: When we return, our students will have a new state of the art athletic field and new benches by the bus lane, both at the Brandon Main campus. Thanks Foundation!
- New staff in the BeeHive: We have been hard at work hiring for quality! From paraprofessionals, grade level teachers, a Special Education Lead Teacher (SELT), a new secretary, a new literacy coordinator, and even a new IB coordinator, our staff new and old, will continue to grow through meaningful professional development in order to continue to infuse Social Emotional Learning, Restorative Practices and IB standards into everyday curriculum. The tradition of excellence continues at MBE!
- Wit and Wisdom: Our new reading program, Wit and Wisdom, has arrived! It will introduce balanced literacy across all grade levels with an emphasis on guided reading. What this means is for the first time in a long time, a school-wide focus on one language arts program will be introduced to all students. Teachers will receive training on how to implement guided reading (small group instruction based on individual student levels) from our new Literacy Coordinator through professional development sessions designed to improve school-wide reading and writing.
- Dual Language Immersion: We have our first cohort of DLI students ready to move into 2nd grade and we have completed the admission process for the newest cohort of Kindergarten students. There continues to be a great deal of excitement about this program, and we are thrilled to be growing the program to the next grade level this year and having 6 homerooms of DLI students who will spend half of their day learning in English and the other half in Spanish! I’ll be headed to Delaware soon in order to attend the world renowned Delaware Institute of Novice Immersion Principals with other new principals in the district. I hope to learn all I can about this wonderful program and how to continue to support its exceptional implementation at Brandon.
- Kindergarten and First grade camps were a success!! One of my favorite things about my first few weeks at school was stopping by the Primary campus and seeing the rising Kindergarten and first grade students engaged in fun filled learning activities with their new teachers. It’s such an awesome program and it brings a smile to my face when I see all the new faces excited about joining the Bee Hive!
There have been several other activities taking place this summer too. From setting school-wide goals and expectations for the 18/19 school year, creating class lists while always keeping parent input in mind, creating a schedule that maximizes learning for all students and staff, and continually looking for ways to improve safety and security at both campuses, we will be more than ready to see everyone the first day of school on August 1st. My personal goal this year is to keep the tradition of excellence that is Morris Brandon while finding new and improved ways to run already successful programs in order to make all stakeholders happy. I look forward to seeing everyone at our Open House on July 30thand can’t wait to meet you all soon!