Letter from the Foundation
Dear Brandon Community,
As we come to the time of our biennial auction, on behalf of the Morris Brandon Elementary School Foundation, we would like to thank the parents and teachers of the Morris Brandon community for their continued generosity to the Foundation. Over ten years ago, parents like you created the Foundation for the purpose of improving the “backyard” at the Main Campus. Since then, through the hard work of Bee Fund volunteers and the continued support of the Morris Brandon community, the Foundation has grown to raise over $230,000 each year to help our teachers and administrators make Morris Brandon the incredible school that it is.
With your help, this year the Foundation has undertaken a broad range of projects including:
- Completely replaced the field and resurfaced the track at the Main Campus. This significant expenditure (approximately $100,000) is required every 8-10 years to ensure a safe and viable field.
- Focused on teacher development and retention through underwriting the participation of 20 teachers in the Complete Reading Series with Brenda Fitzgerald. This spring, an additional 15 teachers are completing an Orton-Gillingham training class offered by the Atlanta Speech School. Finally, this summer, 30 teachers will participate in an intensive 70 hour Orton-Gillingham training program. The expertise the teachers take from these sessions has immediate impact in our classrooms enhancing literacy learning.
- Underwrote the rigorous Wit & Wisdom curriculum through the purchase of textbook and workbook materials, as well as a school-wide MyLexia subscription. This curriculum aligns with the strategic goals of the GO Team in focusing on improving the ELA performance of our students.
- Purchased two Chromebook carts for grades two through five and additional iPads for each K and first grade classroom to provide teachers with greater flexibility in testing and teaching.
- Funded cursive writing workbooks for the third grade, fourth grade science workbooks, and fifth grade social studies workbooks, as well as the Write Score writing and reading evaluations.
- Purchased materials to create a Lego makerspace wall in the media centers at both campuses.
- Purchased a new projector screen for MC Gym.
Due to the foresight of Morris Brandon parents over ten years ago, we are fortunate to be at a school where a culture of giving means that each fall parents generously donate to the Bee Fund and every other year support the spring Auction. Your donations help our teachers and administrators perform vital work throughout the school year with direct positive impact on your students in their classrooms.