5th Grade News
Fifth Grade – Class of 2021
5th Grade at Morris Brandon . . . Big Responsibilities, Big Fun, Big Memories!!
Morris Brandon has a proud tradition of celebrating our fifth graders! These school leaders are entrusted with much responsibility as they finish out their time at Brandon. In return, there is a long list of activities and events and celebrations for them to enjoy all year! While this year may look different, responsibilities typically include acting as safety patrol to keep our Bees safe in the bus line and in carpool, raising and lowering the American flag on the front lawn, and largely running the Field Day activities for the younger classes in May.
Fifth graders will also have the opportunity to become a GREAT HISTORIAN. This new, optional program exposes our 5th grade students to various perspectives on historical events of the 20th century. Students will become more familiar with geography, read a book and participate in discussions each month related to different events and time periods aligned closely with their classroom studies, and pull what they have learned into a culminating project. On their path to becoming Great Historians, students will have the opportunity to gain insight into some of the most significant events in the last century that have shaped the world they live in!
We are here for you!
Mary-Elizabeth Jackson and Catherine Young are your 5th Grade Coordinators. Feel free to contact us here.
We need your information!
If you have not already done so, please fill out the information in the link provided and be sure to include your child’s t-shirt size where requested: https://forms.gle/WLyGKR4Vi2gkDpdc9. By completing this form, you will start receiving all 5th grade emails. (NOTE: this is a different list than the BeeMail list – signing up for this one does not automatically sign you up to receive the BeeMail. Please visit the homepage of this Morris Brandon website to sign up for BeeMail newsletters).
Want to get involved leading 5th grade activities and events?
While this year may look different, we are hopeful some of the typical 5th grade activities and events can take place at some point. Click here to sign up.
Typically, 5th grade fees are around $60 a year. This year, we are asking for a $25 payment to cover the cost of a t-shirt for your child and to help defray the cost of t-shirts for Fifth Grade Teachers and members of the Administration. As we gain more clarity into how the school year will unfold, we are expecting to request parents to pay a second payment that will cover any 5th grade activities that could occur through the end of the school year.
Cotillion for 5th Grade Students
The Georgia Cotillion class is a long-standing Atlanta tradition for 5th graders to help teach them table manners and social skills in order for them to feel more comfortable and confident in formal settings. They will also learn various dance steps and have fun interacting with classmates (from a safe distance)! The program consists of four classes that will be held at Second Ponce de Leon Baptist Church from 4 to 5:30 pm on Tuesday afternoons in January of 2021.
Please note that this is completely optional, is NOT a Morris Brandon sponsored event, and will NOT take place on school property.
Registration for Morris Brandon 5th grade students is on a first-come first serve basis and will begin on October 3rd at 7AM. Classes will fill up fast as there are limited spots, so check out session and registration details at https://www.thegeorgiacotillion.com/chapters/buckhead-mb.
5th Grade Fundraiser – Photography Sessions with Tamara Gonzalez
We are thrilled to offer our first 5th grade fundraiser – socially distanced photography sessions with our very own 5th grade parent and photographer, Tamara Gonzalez. Tamara is donating 100% of each $50 session fee collected directly to our grade. Here is how it will work:
- Pay $50 fee for SESSION ONLY directly to Morris Brandon via this link: https://morrisbrandon.com/product/tamara-gonzalez-portrait-session/
- Schedule a session, agree to the terms and conditions and select preferred date/time on her webpage: https://tkgphotography.com/morris-brandon-holiday-portrait-fundraiser/
- IMAGE PURCHASES ARE ADDITIONAL and made through Tamara Gonzalez Photography.
All sessions will adhere to Covid-19 social distancing guidelines and the following protocols will be in place for each session:
- Outdoor Sessions Only. For the safety and welfare of each of us, all sessions will be held outside at Tanyard Creek Park where we have fresh air, and can keep our distance.
- No Physical Contact. Tamara will use a long, or telephoto lenses to photograph sessions to ensure we keep about 10-20 feet of distance between us. She will only use verbal guidance for poses. In addition, there will be a volunteer on site to ensure no gatherings.
- Temperature Checks on Site. Temperatures will be taken using a touchless, no contact temperature reader. Any temperature above 100.3 will require family to reschedule after two weeks, or be provided a refund.
- Reschedule if Sick. If any member of the family to be photographed has a fever, or even a hint of a cold, family must reschedule, and there will be no charge.
- Other Tips: Families are required to bring their own blanket, if they wish to have a sitting pose. Clients will need to ensure they are camera ready (wipe their own children’s faces, brush hair etc.).
5th Grade Teaching Team
Sutton Middle School
Interested in learning more about Sutton Middle School? Here is the link for prospective families that provides information about Sutton, important dates for rising 6th graders, school tours and registration: