2021-22 Kindergarten Coordinators:
Read the Kindergarten Buzz now for all information you need to get your student ready for the first day of school.
Coffee and Kleenex:
Thursday, August 5, 2021 at 8:00am – Primary Center Field
Wipe away the tears and come to the field to commiserate and celebrate with other Kindergarten parents. School Administrators and PTA Presidents will be available to chat and answer questions.
Phonics: The curriculum is Fundations combined with The Complete Reading Series and the Orton Gillingham approach which is a multisensory, structured, phonics technique.
Reading & Writing: Wit & Wisdom by Great Minds; this curriculum uses authentic texts to master reading, writing, speaking, and listening skills as well as grammar and vocabulary. There are 4 modules the Kindergarten students will learn about throughout the year:
- Module 1 “My 5 Senses”
- Module 2 “Once Upon a Farm”
- Module 3 “America, Then & Now”
- Module 4 “The Continents”
Math: Kindergartners will learn Eureka Math which is a program that builds foundational math skills.
Science and Social Studies will be integrated with language arts through IB with a focus on inquiry to build basic understanding.
30 extra minutes for Academic Recovery: iRead, which is new to Kindergarten for the 2021-22 school year. iRead is a digital foundational reading program that uses adaptive technology to ensure children are mastering the skills to become strong, fluent readers.
The following assessments will be given during your child’s kindergarten year:
- GKIDS (Georgia Kindergarten Inventory of Developing Skills) – State checklist with ongoing assessment in all areas of Kindergarten development
- Map Growth Assessment
- Map Reading Fluency
Field Trips and Special Events:
We are still waiting on guidance from APS but hope we will be able to continue our many special events and field trips for our kindergartners this year! Here is a sample of what we have done in the past:
|Field Trip||Special Event|
- Burch, Tracey – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cusack, Cates – email@example.com
- Halliday, Mary Beth – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Halligan, Thérèse – email@example.com
- Hoekstra, Lee Ann – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Johnson, Ameera – email@example.com
- Saleeby, Selena – firstname.lastname@example.org